IRS Taxpayer Bill of Rights
The IRS recently adopted a “Taxpayer Bill of Rights.” These rights already exist in the tax code, but this initiative is intended to consolidate those rights into more straightforward categories to improve taxpayers’ understanding of what rights they have before the IRS.
The provisions included in the Taxpayer Bill of Rights are:
1. The Right to Be Informed
2. The Right to Quality Service
3. The Right to Pay No More than the Correct Amount of Tax
4. The Right to Challenge the IRS’s Position and Be Heard
5. The Right to Appeal an IRS Decision in an Independent Forum
6. The Right to Finality
7. The Right to Privacy
8. The Right to Confidentiality
9. The Right to Retain Representation
10. The Right to a Fair and Just Tax System
This list, along with explanations of each right, can be found here.
A publication containing the above information, “Your Rights as a Taxpayer,” will be sent to millions of taxpayers with the IRS notices this year, and will also be publicly visible at all IRS facilities.