Skilled Bergen County Trusts and Estates Lawyer Safeguards Clients’ Assets
Accomplished attorney assists with probate and other legal issues
The legal processes associated with wealth preservation and property distribution can seem complicated, but obtaining personalized advice from a proven attorney is the simplest way to achieve your goals. At the Paton Law Firm LLC in Paramus, I have delivered knowledgeable advice on trusts and estates to New Jersey clients for 30 years. No matter what your specific needs are, I provide clear counsel tailored to your concerns. Whether you seek to establish a trust to hold your assets or are looking to probate an estate efficiently, my firm will treat you with compassion and guide you toward a successful result.
Experienced adviser handles trust creation and administration
Most people assume that trusts are only for the very wealthy, but that is definitely not the case. These legal instruments can help anyone who wants to protect their assets and direct how they will be used. My firm creates and administers all types of trusts, including:
- Special needs trusts — I help parents and others create instruments to assist people with special needs. These trusts can give beneficiaries funding to improve their daily lives while preserving their eligibility for government benefits.
- Credit shelter trusts — Married couples who are subject to estate taxation can take advantage of a credit shelter trust that might reduce or eliminate their death tax exposure.
- Medicaid trusts — Medicaid recipients must meet strict guidelines regarding the value of their assets. However, I can review your situation to determine if a Medicaid trust can provide financial support without risking the benefits that you receive.
- Living trusts — By establishing a living trust, you can pass property upon your death without forcing your beneficiaries to go through probate formalities. These trusts also allow you to access your assets during your lifetime.
After learning about your situation and goals in a free initial consultation, I can guide you through the steps necessary to establish a trust that truly satisfies your needs.
Established law firm provides guidance in New Jersey probate matters
When someone close to you dies, handling the distribution of their assets can seem like an overwhelming burden at the worst possible time. My firm offers understanding guidance throughout the New Jersey probate process to ensure that each task is carried out efficiently, including:
- Naming an executor — If you have been named in a will as the executor of the decedent’s estate, I can file the will in Surrogate’s Court and initiate the process to have you formally appointed by the court. Once that occurs, my firm works on notifying will beneficiaries.
- Gathering assets — Locating assets and legally transferring them into the estate can be tricky. I understand how to find property and secure it so that it can be distributed in a timely manner.
- Managing obligations — During the probate process, taxes and other debt obligations must still be paid. My firm ensures that payments are made and that each transaction is accounted for.
- Distributing property — When any challenges have been settled and expenses have been paid, I shift ownership of the decedent’s assets according to the instructions given in the will.
From start to finish, I will focus on preserving the estate’s value and reducing the stress associated with the probate system.
Contact a knowledgeable Paramus trusts and estates lawyer for a free initial consultation
The Paton Law Firm LLC represents clients in Bergen County and throughout North Jersey in estate planning, property and business matters. Please call 201-470-4801 or contact me online to schedule a free initial consultation at my Paramus office.